Monday, January 21, 2013

Finding Your Grace and Owning It.


 One of the things I've had to deal with for as long as I can remember is people assuming I'm unintelligent because I care about the way I look, I like shopping and watching Real Housewives of New Jersey... and I'm just an assistant.

Every job I've had since joining the corporate world has given me the same opportunities to feel stupid. 

Yes, I'm technically a secretary, but the thing most don't realize is that I actually take pride in my job.  I don't view my position the way others do.  My job is to help others succeed.  My job is to make others look good and do their jobs well.  My job is to support and serve.  My job is to say "yes" when asked to help, not to be the one asking for help.  In my opinion, a position like this takes a certain kind of grace.  Not everyone can always live with not having authority to exercise.  People have a misconceived notion that you aren't successful unless you have subordinates that answer to you.

It's taken a while for me to get to the point where others' opinions have little affect on me.  I have to admit, having my degree has helped.  Before I went back to school, I always believed what people said.. that I was only an assistant because I couldn't be anything else.

So I decided to go back to school for something that I knew would be a challenge for me.  And I kicked butt.  I graduated top of my class with a 4.0 GPA in Architectural Drafting.  I proved to myself that I wasn't stupid.  (which I should have never had to do.)

And I'm still an assistant. 

I looked into getting into architecture and realized, although I was good at it, it wasn't what I wanted to do.  What I wanted to do... what I want to do... is be an assistant.

I like what I do.  I'm proud of what I do.  I'm good at what I do.  I choose to do what I do. 

It's hard to find the value in yourself when what others tell you doesn't align with what God's word says.  It's hard to be confident in what you do when people tell you you're doing it because you're stupid.

1 John 3:1 - What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it - we're called children of God! That's who we really are. But that's also why the world doesn't recognize us or take us seriously, because it has no idea who he is or what he's up to.  (The Message)

You have to remind yourself that those people are small minded.  All of us have different giftings.  Not all of us are meant to be CEOs or rock stars.  Some of us are meant to help the CEOs and the rock stars... because without us, they wouldn't be able to do what they do. 

I'm an assistant to a Vice President.  I'm background vocals for the worship leader.  I'm a wife to a Godly man.  If I never move out of these peoples' shadows, then I consider myself blessed to be a support to such amazing people.  Their accomplishments become mine because I've been a help.  Their successes are mine, their failures are mine and I take pride and responsibility for all of it. 

If that doesn't take grace, I don't know what grace is for.  I'd rather live my life with grace than glory.  I'd rather have mercy than authority.  I'd rather be a servant than be served.

I consider myself a success.  And if you are where you want to be... then you should consider yourself a success, too.  If you are where God wants you to be, then you are a success. 

If others feel the need to demean your position in life, your job, the way you look, what you do, then chances are, they themselves do not feel successful and are generally  discontent with where their lives are. 

It's hard to bite your tongue when someone attacks you for being who you are. There are some times when people don't even realize what they're saying hurts you.  For me, the best thing to do is remind myself that I'm happy regardless of what they say, so it doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter if I point out what a jerk they are.  I don't need to make them realize they're wrong because I'm secure in myself.  

Now don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of hurt feelings as a result of people and their ignorantly stated snide remarks, but, it's true what they say, eventually you develop thick skin.  Also, writing things down like this help you to see things objectively.  I guess most of my blog posts here start as a negative emotion... and by the end of it I'm determined to turn it into a positive.  You should try it!

What you need to do, though.. is find your grace, your gifts and own it.  Who cares what the world's standards are and what critical people say, take pride in the grace God has given you, find your strength, and make it stronger.  And don't EVER let another person's words stop you.
  
Colossians 3:12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience

Mark 10:45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Proverbs 11:25 Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.

Matthew 25:21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’'

No comments: